LAUNCH OF CARLOW AGE FRIENDLY CAR PARKING SPACES
On a wet and windy Monday 9th November the launch of Carlow Age Friendly car parking spaces took place at Kennedy Avenue, Carlow by Cathaoirleach Charlie Murphy accompanied by Kathleen Holohan, Chief Executive of Carlow County Council, Paul Maher, Chairperson of the Older Person’s Forum and Mary White , Independent Chairperson of the Carlow Age Friendly Interagency Committee. The inclement weather did not prevent an excellent turn out. This initiative is not just a first locally but also a first nationally and again sees Carlow leading the way in terms of good practice.
County Carlow’s journey to become a more Age Friendly County began in 2012 where a County Carlow Age Friendly Committee was established. After extensive consultations with Older People and the relevant agencies delivering a service to them, a County Age Friendly Strategy was developed using the World Health Organisations framework for Age Friendly Cities and Communities to make County Carlow Age Friendly and this was successfully launched in 2013.
In 2014 an Age Friendly Plan for Carlow Town was also launched by the County Carlow Age Friendly Committee assisted by Age Friendly Ireland. And in May of 2015 Carlow Older Persons Forum was launched.
All the speakers at the Launch pointed out the importance of working with older people in order to ensure effective solutions to rising issues and to plan for an age friendly County that provides for quality service delivery and facilities for our Older People and that benefits us all. The staff of the County Council were thanked for putting in the spaces as were all the Agencies that were involved in ensuring the delivery of the project.
This particular action was identified in the public consultation and collaboration with Older Persons in Carlow when compiling the Carlow Town Age Friendly Plan. It is a very significant action that will have a major impact on the quality of life for the older person.
There are 11 parking spaces are interspersed throughout the Town near important services in order to provide ease of access for our Older Community Members.
They are on:
- 2 on Kennedy Avenue (the Post Office etc.)
- 2 in Brown Street Car (the Cathedral and the Parish Centre etc.)
- 2 in Visual Car Park
- 2 on Tullow Street (the Library and the Town Centre etc.)
- 2 in the Carlow Town Car Park servicing the Carlow Town Park
- 1 in the Carlow County Council Car Park
INFORMATION AND RULES OF USE FOR AGE FRIENDLY SPACES
- These spaces are courtesy spaces and it is hoped that motorists will enter into the spirit of this initiative and leave them free for older persons who need them
- Where a 15 minute free parking time is in operation it applies to these spaces
- Where there is a parking fee this applies
- Age Friendly car parking stickers are available from Carlow Older Persons Forum upon registration